Thursday, February 16, 2012

Timeless Treasures

As a mom, I have many blessings flow in and out of my life that represent my daughter and I know (she is my number one focus:)

Today is no different because the blessing is her homeschool program.  My daughter attends an online public school.  Now when most people hear about an only child attending Homeschool, their first worry is in the quality of education and their second worry is that of socialization.  So today, I'm sharing a blessing of a homeschool program.  

You see, I too, worried about these topics until yesterday.  Though rather than the program itself I worried about being able to supplement her education as any teacher or program tries to do with meaningful lessons outside the school book - my answer yesterday was yes. 

During her social studies lesson, we were learning about medicine and the improvements that have been made throughout history.  We studied penicillin and its many uses, we studied pasteurization of milk products, and we studied about the most wonderful Helen Keller.  

Now while the book covered the very basic of Ms. Keller's triumph's, I felt it was lacking in teaching the heart of her story and the lesson that "those with disabilities can overcome and succeed triumphantly" and I remembered that when I was a child our class was taught not only through a book but through the 1962 movie "The Miracle Worker".  But being a last minute learning coach, I worried how will I find the movie?  

Ahhhh thank you dear YouTube.  There on youtube for a mother that wants to do her best by her child was the very movie she hoped for in its entirety.   I was so pleased!  

Together with snacks in the middle of a school day, my daughter and I sat watching Patty Duke give an awesome performance of Helen Keller.  It touched my heart again as I watched it touch my daughter's heart for the first time.  

So today my blessing is three fold - one for the Homeschool opportunity and the other for YouTube and Helen Keller, I've named it Timeless Treasures in honor of the story of Helen Keller.  I am very grateful for the blessing of being able to share in this way the lessons of my youth and my knowledge through homeschooling my daughter.  


Blessings to All, 
GigiCharm

  

No comments:

Post a Comment